Thursday, July 2, 2009

Journal Entry Week 16

Someone told me this week that people actually read our blog and that I should post more. Who knew?!

This week has been the most difficult so far. We have had quite a lot of stress with one car breaking down and our lease renewal coming up among other things. It's like when it rains, it pours. Unfortunately, we discovered our trigger for bad habits. STRESS! I immediately wanted to stuff my face and we even skipped one day of working out. Which is terrible! We haven't purposely skipped a day since we started. But we needed it. The stress just exhausted us. We know we will make it up in the future. It just might not be one of our best weeks on the scale.

Another thing this week - our first holiday since starting this lifestyle change. Fortunately, it won't effect us like some other holidays would. The gym won't be open but we are not going to any BBQs or parties. We'll just have to find another way to burn our calories.

One thing that came to mind while thinking about holiday eating is enjoy it. Eat but be responsible. There's nothing like missing out on all of your favorite foods to depress a person (which can lead to over eating). Try taking only a 1x1 inch portion size for casseroles and desserts. Load up on the things that you know are good for you - the veggie tray. This is the technique we employ when eating at other people's houses, potlucks and parties. Holidays aren't any different.

We celebrate with food in our society and like I've said before, that's just fine. Just learn to eat wisely instead of seeing it as a reason to pig out. I used to get so excited thinking about going to a party because I LOVE CAKE. Now I get a little flutter of excitement, but often it's counteracted by thinking about how much extra work I would have to do to burn that cake. Not so appealing then.

Well, that's enough for this week. Enjoy it!

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work, I'm thinking of you. Happy 4th! Laura

    ReplyDelete